Monday, August 13, 2012

Key West for 10 Years

Mike and I met 10 years ago on August 2nd. I can't believe it's been 10 years. We celebrated this special anniversary in Key West. Neither one of us had ever been there. We just went down for a long weekend and had a great time.

(I brought my big camera, but didn't get it out once. I really didn't want to be consumed with getting "the good shot" on this vacation. This was more about me and Mike and enjoying our time together.)

We flew into Ft. Lauderdale late on Thursday night. When we went to the car rental counter they told us they were out of the economy car we had reserved and they were going to have to upgrade us to a convertible..OKKKK!!! :)


We stayed the night in Miami and got up early to head down to Key West. On the way we stopped off in Key Largo for breakfast at the Conch House. I had crab cakes benedict and Mike had the cracked conch benedict. Oh my, it was so good!


When we got to Key West we drove around for a while and checked it out. Our room wasn't ready, but they let us use the pool so we took advantage of that. We stayed at the Doubletree Grand Key Resort. I liked this hotel a lot. They had a great pool and pool bar. Their conch fritters were amazing. There was a guy playing music with steel drums all day everyday. He was the worst singer and I can tell you Mike and I got A LOT of laughs out of that. We pretty much lived at the pool from morning until 4:00 everyday!





That evening we went out to Duvall St. The hotel had a free shuttle so that made things a lot easier. We decided to go to Sloppy Joe's since we had heard good things. We had fruity frozen drinks and shared the Sloppy Joe's nachos. Oh my gosh, these nachos were amazing!! There was a great band playing and we really enjoyed ourselves. After Sloppy Joe's we just walked around and checked things out. We had dessert at a little place that sold the chocolate covered key lime pie on a stick. Wow, those were good!




The next day we had a lot more pool time. I think we went down there at 9:00a. We took a little break for lunch and headed to BO's Fish Wagon for more conch fritters and a grouper sandwich. This was Mike's favorite dive of the trip!



Later that evening we had a special night planned. We had reservations at Latitudes on Sunset Key. This restaurant was recommended to us and after looking at the menu online I was sold. Since we had to take a ferry to get over there, we went downtown a little early to walk to sunset pier. We stopped off at El Meson de Pepe and had mojitos while listening Cuban music. Then we took the ferry over to Sunset Key. The sun was starting to go down as we pulled up to the dock. The table they seated us at was more than perfect. It seemed like it was all off on it's own and had the most incredible view. We ordered a bottle of wine and enjoyed the sunset and our time together. Mike ended up ordering the wagyu beef skirt steak and I got the crab stuff scallops. I am not kidding you, these were 2 of the best meals I have ever had. The flavors were incredible. Our waitress was awesome as well. This was probably all around the best restaurant I have ever been to. A great way to celebrate 10 years! After we left the restaurant we went by the Key Lime Pie Co. and shared a piece of pie!










The next day we got up for more pool time!! We had to check out at 12:00p so we decided to go out for one last lunch. We went to Southernmost Beach Cafe and had lunch over looking the beach. Then we headed back north on that 7 mile bridge to catch our flight. We took a detour and stopped by Miami Beach and drove down A1A!! Of course I had to stop and get a picture of DASH before heading out! 

















No comments:

Post a Comment