Monday, June 18, 2012

Clean Chicken Parm



The original recipe for this chicken was not intended to be for chicken parm and it was made with lots of mayo...YUCK! I just can't stand mayo and it's not the healthiest, but to be honest I bet it tasted pretty darn good!

I decided to clean it up and when cleaning something up my go to ingredient is....greek yogurt! So I replaced the mayo with greek yogurt, added some Mrs. Dash, swapped out Italian bread crumbs for clean eating bread crumbs, made some brown rice pasta and clean pasta sauce and VOILA!, Clean Eating Chicken Parm! My secret ingredient for my sauce is apple juice. Since most red sauce has sugar in it to cut the tartness, I add 100% apple juice. It thins it out a little (which it needs) and sweetens it up a bit!

See how I make clean bread crumbs here.

Clean Eating Chicken Parm
4 chicken breasts
1/2 cup of FF greek yogurt
3 tablespoons of shredded parmesan cheese
1 tablespoon of Mrs. Dash Garlic and Herb 1/2 for chicken and 1/2 for sauce
4 teaspoons of clean bread crumbs
1 teaspoon of salt
1 can of tomato paste
1 can of tomato sauce
1/2 tablespoon of garlic salt
1/3 cup of 100% apple juice (I use Martinelli's)
4 servings of cooked brown rice pasta
6-7 fresh basil leaves (optional)

Pre-heat oven to 425. In a medium bowl mix yogurt, parmesan, Mrs. Dash, and salt until well blended. In a baking dish, (I line mine with tinfoil) sprayed with olive oil spray, place chicken side by side. Smother it with the cheesy greek yogurt mixture and sprinkle bread crumbs on top. Cook for about 20 minutes.

While chicken is in the oven, cook your pasta and sauce. In a medium sauce on medium-low heat add tomato paste, tomato sauce, Mrs. Dash, garlic salt, and apple juice. Cook for 15 minutes.

Plate the pasta first, a little sauce, chicken, and a little more sauce. I added some shaved parmesan to the top and cut up fresh basil.

No comments:

Post a Comment