Monday, May 20, 2013

The freshest hamburger you can get....

(These pictures stink...taken with my cell phone)


Since I got my kitchen aid  mixer I have been wanting to grind my own beef for hamburgers, but never really got around to it until recently. Since we moved up to the mountains I have started shopping at the Farm Store. It's a store at a local farm that sells grass-fed, hormone and chemical free beef and pork as well as fresh eggs and raw milk (for your pet) ;).

Since I have access to this amazing store, I decided it was time to grind my own beef! I did a little research and found the cuts I wanted to go with. The Shake Shack in NYC serves up some AMAZING hamburgers and I found out they use sirloin and brisket with the fat untrimmed. This is the combination I went with and it DID NOT disappoint. I used 1 pound of sirloin and 1 pound of brisket.

The other research I did was on preparing the meat. Number one, it has to be VERY cold. I cut it up in chunks, put it in a bowl, sprinkled some Pink Himalayan Salt on it, and stuck in the freezer for about 30 minutes before I ground it. I also took my grinder attachment and put it in the freezer about an hour before grinding. Keeping everything cold is crucial to getting good ground beef.

Once I ground all the beef I made hamburger patties. I did not work with the meat a lot. I just picked it up and shaped patties, it's best not to mess with it. I also didn't add a single bit of seasoning...just the salt I put on the meat at the beginning. The meat is so good you don't need anything!

I cooked them on my griddle on the stove top, but they would have been just as good on the grill.

Since I made 2 pounds of it I froze half of what was remaining tripled bagged and made hamburgers the next day for lunch again with the other half.

I added some fresh cut bacon from the farm store, a slice of fresh cheddar cheese from Sweetwater Valley Farm, and put it on a Martin's Potato Roll. AMAZING!! So fresh and yummy!













No comments:

Post a Comment