Thursday, May 30, 2013

Happy Birthday Connor



Summer of 1999, I was living in the Virgin Islands when I got a call from my best friend Lauren, "I'm pregnant" She then went on to tell me that the baby was the size of an appleseed!!! 

I will admit I was a little upset. We were young and Lauren was in college and SO smart and I was just afraid at what might happen (I should have known better, she finished school AND got her masters). 

I threw her a shower. It was my first of many themed showers. Everything had to match and be in blue. I had the bakery scan a picture of his ultrasound on the cake. I remember I had that ultrasound picture framed in my living room for so long. (ok, now I have tears in my eyes) 

When Connor was born, Lauren and Gregg lived in St. Louis. I got the call that Connor was born right before I was about to go out on the town for a girls night. Since I couldn't be there, Gregg's mom invited me over to watch the home video that was taken at the hospital.

A couple of weeks later they drove down to Arkansas and I got to hold him for the first time. He was so beautiful, sweet, soft, and smelled so good. I was totally IN LOVE. 

Not too long after that Gregg, Lauren, and Connor moved back to Arkansas and I couldn't have been more excited. I ended up moving in with them. Connor had colic so I remember many sleepless nights for Lauren and she was in school so it was tough. One in particular, I came home and Connor was crying and I could tell Lauren was exhausted. I took Connor and put him in his car seat, turned on the bathroom fan, and rocked him as I laid on the floor until we both fell asleep. 

I remember when it was time to potty train him. He LOVED throwing cheerios or M&Ms in the toilet. It was hilarious. 

His first Valentine's Day was spent with me. I wanted his parents to have night out so Connor and I stayed home and watched a Justin Timberlake movie and he held my finger. 

When he started walking I worked in the same gym that Lauren worked in. When she would bring him in he would run down the long hallway, grinning from ear to ear, flapping his arms and screaming LALA, LALA, LALA, and that is how I got the name Lala!! 

I could go on and on about this little boy teenager. About how SMART he is, how kind he is, how responsible he is. He means so much to me and I can't believe today he is a teenager. I have so enjoyed watching him grow into what he is now and can't wait to see him grow into a man. (ok, now I have the ugly cry)

Connor Michael, Happy 13th Birthday! I love you so much and I am SO PROUD of you. 










No comments:

Post a Comment