Friday, May 10, 2013

Carne Asada


So there is this restaurant that Mike and I used to go to quite often. Ok seriously, one summer I think we went every Sunday for like 3 straight months. Back then there was only one in Alpharetta. Since then they have ventured out to places all over Atlanta and I think even moved into one of the Carolinas.  Unfortunately they have not ventured to the north Georgia mountains!

This restaurant is called Pure Taqueria.

I get the same thing every time I go to pure. Carne Asada tacos with cilantro and cotija cheese on corn tortillas. My mouth is watering thinking about it right now. I want to jump in the car and head down there.....that's not gonna happen!

So tonight I made my own Carne Asada. This is the first time I have ever attempted it. I bought a pound of grass fed skirt steak from the farm store down the street, Mountain Valley Farm. If you are ever in Ellijay, you HAVE to check this place out. I don't think I will ever buy my beef, eggs, or pork at the store again! It's pricey, but well worth it for the quality you get. The only part I didn't like was passing all the cute cows and knowing I was taking home one of their brothers!

It turned out pretty darn good, not Pure quality though....I have never had any better than Pure so that was gonna be tough to conquer! Mike when back for 3rds so I guess it's was good enough.

Tomorrow I will make some breakfast tacos with the left over....YUM!








Carne Asada
1 pound of skirt steak

Marinade
3 cloves of crushed garlic
2 tbsp of ground cumin
1 tbsp of chopped jalapeƱos
salt and pepper to taste
1 handful of fresh cilantro leaves AND stems chopped finely
1 tsp of smoked paprika
1/2 cup olive oil
3 tbsp of white vinegar
2 limes juiced (yes, I had to use lime juice because I had no limes)
1 tbsp of raw agave

Place meat on a cookie sheet. Mix all other ingredients in a bowl. Pour half of the marinade over skirt steak and rub into all crevices. Turn over steak and repeat with the other half of the marinade.

Skirt steak is a tough steak so you need let it marinate in the fridge for a minimum of 4 hours. I left mine in the fridge for at least 9 hours. Turning once every couple of hours.

You can cook your steak 2 ways, but it should be med rare otherwise it will be tough and you will ruin it!

Grilling....medium high flame, coat grill with oil to prevent sticking, grill each side for a couple of minutes depending on the thickness. Remove from heat and let rest for at least 5 minutes.

Cast Iron griddle.....med-high heat, coat griddle with oil to prevent sticking, cook each side for a couple of minutes depending on the thickness. Remove from heat and let rest for at least 5 minutes.

Once steak has rested slice into thin slices. I added mine to a corn tortilla with some cilantro, FF feta, and avocado. My husband likes his with all of that plus chopped onions.  Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment