Monday, June 11, 2012

Clean Flank Steak with Wild Mushroom Relish and Herbed Whole Wheat Couscous



I found this awesome recipe in my Clean Eating Magazine. We don't eat a whole lot of red meat lately, but I kind of miss it a bit. When I saw this recipe in my magazine I was very excited to try it. It's very easy and very quick!

The Clean Eating Magazine has quite a few awesome recipes in it and I highly recommend getting a subscription. I love to cook, so cooking magazines are my fave.....especially healthy ones!

Flank Steak with Wild Mushroom Relish and Herbed Whole Wheat Couscous 
Serves 4

Olive Oil Cooking Spray
1lb of Flank Steak with visible fat removed
1/4 tsp each Kosher salt and fresh ground pepper
1 1/4 cup of low sodium chicken broth
1 cup of whole wheat couscous
1 tsp dried oregano
1/4 cup of chopped fresh basil
2 tsp olive oil
16oz of sliced wild mushrooms (cremini, shiitaki, portobello and/or oyster variety)
1/2 cup of dices white onion (I used a shallot instead)
2 cloves of garlic minced
2 tbsp of fresh chopped parsley (I used italian flat leaf)
1 tbsp of fresh thyme
1 tsp of balsam in vinegar (I used 2 tbsp)

Heat a stovetop grill pan (I used an iron skillet) on med-hi and mist with olive oil spray. Season steak with salt and pepper and cook for 2-3 minutes each side until medium rare. Remove from heat and let stand for 5 minutes. (Steak will continue to cook as it rests)

Meanwhile, in a medium saucepan, bring broth to a boil. Stir in couscous and oregano. Remove from heat, cover and let stand for 5 minutes. Fluff with a fork and stir in basil. Season with salt and pepper to taste.

Prepare relish: In a large skillet, heat oil on med-hi. Add mushrooms, onion, and garlic and cook, stirring occasionally for 3 minutes, until mushrooms are soften. Remove from heat and stir in parsley, thyme, and vinegar. Season with salt and pepper to taste.

Slice steak crosswise, against the grain, into 1/4 inch this slices, and divide among serving plates. Top with the relish and serve with couscous, dividing evenly.






No comments:

Post a Comment