Monday, July 15, 2013

Burlap Curtain

My husband and I are redoing our kitchen in our cabin in the mountains. I have been looking at curtains for weeks and have gone back and forth about them. I really liked this cute little strawberry curtain and thought it would go perfect with my colors. All my friends hated it, but I loved it so I was about to pull the trigger and buy it and then I decided it wouldn't really match out pot rack we made out of an old vintage sled. So basically I was back to the drawing board. 

While I was at Home Depot one night I just decided I would make my own out of burlap. We went to the gardening section and bought a HUGE roll of burlap for $12. Then we went to Wal-Mart and I bought some lace, stitch witchery, and a tension rod. 

Thankfully the width of the burlap was exactly what I needed for the size of the window. I rolled out a piece that was double the length and hemmed both ends with the stitch witchery. I laid that over the tension rod and tied it together in the middle with the lace. 

I felt like it just wasn't enough so I decided to make a valance. I measured how long I wanted the valance and rolled out double that. I only hemmed one end since the other wouldn't show. I just laid it right over the curtain. Now when I untie the curtain to close it, it looks much better with the valance. 

The curtain ended up coming to less than $9. I used less than a 4th of the burlap roll so I can use it for other projects (I see placemats in my future). I have a ton of lace and stitch witchery left. Really the biggest cost was the $4 tension rod for Wal-Mart! 

This is an awful picture from my phone, but you get the idea! Nothing fancy, but it;s what I wanted! 


No comments:

Post a Comment