Thursday, April 12, 2012

Easter Table Decorations


I love Easter decorations! I love all the colors and the signs of spring. This year we had Easter lunch at my house. My sister and her family came along with my mother from Arkansas. I wanted the table to look extra special without having to break the bank.

My main dishes are white so those were an easy choice for Easter. I only have one set of placemats and they are red. I only have one set of napkins and napkin rings and they are both black. That was NOT going to work for Easter. So I had to get creative.

About a year ago my dog, Buster, chewed a little whole in one of my pillow covers. I just recently got a new one to replace it and since it was a buttercream yellow I thought it would be perfect for the Easter table.....but where?

I knew I wanted it to be a sort of country looking table, not modern. So, I cut out strips of the yellow pillow cover about 1 inch wide and 6 inches long. I took plain white paper towels to wrap the silverware and then just tied the pillow cover strips around them. The pillow covers were made of a thick linen like material so it worked out perfect. They were frayed a little bit, but I liked it. It gave it that country look I was going for.



Now what was I going to do for the place mats? Well I went to the grocery store and bought 2 rolls of cork drawer liners. The rolls I bought were only $3 a piece and I made 3 placemats out of each roll bringing them to a total of $1 each! They worked out perfect with the look I was going for!



Next was the decor. I have a ton of mason jars laying around the house as well as a roll of jute twine. That is typically my go to vase of choice when I am making a flower arrangement. Today I wanted to spice it up a little. So, I took some more of the pillow cover fabric and wrapped it around the vase and added the juste twine around that. I have a huge snowball tree in my front yard so I thought those would be perfect. I bought 6 tulips at the store for $5 to add a little more color to the table.


The menu...I normally don't do this! I had seen Easter Brunch Menus all over the place in the last couple of weeks so I decided to do my own. This was the fun part! I love turning ordinary food into something that sounds amazing! (Isn't that what the restaurants do?) Like for instance The Creamy Mushrooms with Hericot Verts topped with fried onion strings and cheddar cheese...that is just my recipe for a green bean casserole. Yes, it's not your typical casserole, but it's also not very fancy either! Change the words green beans to the French translation, make French's Fried onions sound way more appetizing and VOILA!, you have a fancy menu! Adjictives are your friends as well! Take a look at the recipes here.




No comments:

Post a Comment